Saturday 2 August 2008

First Blog



Just a baby 5 weeks ago - hard to believe it is now huge and fecund! This week it seems to be the week of the courgette. My four plants are producing yellow, thick courgettes daily. I learnt the very helpful tip of artificially pollenating them - just dip your fingertip into the male flower (the ones without a courgette forming) and then spread the yellow pollen into the female flower (the one with a courgette forming) this stops the courgetts starting to rot and not forming properly, which can be a problem if you don' t have lots and lots of bees. I don't see as many bees as I would like so I always dip my finger in!





I used my courgettes for:


A courgette Lasagne: Make as per a usual lasagne but use thinly sliced courgettes instead of pasta


Deep fried courgette flowers (a la Jamie Oliver) stuffed with mozerella and mint.


Thinly shredded in char sui mai.





Currently I am working from a small garden in surrey, the transition to small holder in the coutryside will be happening in the next year or so. For now, I am experimenting, learning and becoming inspired!

Will post some courgie- inspired pics in the morning.

No comments: